Saturday, July 7, 2012

COMMUNICATION IN ACTION

The Cat in the Hat: “Dress Up Day” I chose an animated television show to observe for this assignment. As I began watching the show without the sound I immediately understood why children are drawn to animated television shows. The Cat in the Hat Series features a very lively and colorful cast of characters. You have the Cat in the Hat who is a very big black and white stripped cat with a big red and white stripped top hat. He jumps and flips and flies around while laughing and making all sorts of other things appear and disappear. The children in the show were known as Nick and Sally. Nick and Sally laughed continuously and communicated throughout the program with gestures and nonverbal clues such as eye contact, pointing, jumping, clapping, and hugging. The plot included the children trying to find a costume for Dress up Day and taking an adventure with the Cat in the Hat when Sally needs silk to mend her princess costume. Throughout the program the animals portrayed human like qualities of smiling, frowning, talking, laughing, and helping each other as friends. I believe that because this was an animated children’s show, you could very easy understand what was happening even though there was no sound at first. The animals which included a cat, fish, a silk worm, and a moth all explicitly portrayed nonverbal cues and expressions that enabled me to clearly figure out what was happening. Watching this show reminded me of something my husband and sisters have always said to me. They told me that I have the perfect job of working with children because of my ability to be dramatic and animated. I view that as a compliment because I am able to make children laugh while they are learning! Reference: Ardiel, B. (Writer). Collingwood, T. (Director). (1995-2012). Cat in the Hat [Television Series]. Stroud, H. & Stall, J. (Producer). New York, NY: PBS.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree that the abilities to be animated and dramatic are essential in teaching. I use non-verbal cues like facial expressions and body movement all the time in my teaching. I have a daily "story time" when I light a candle and start a (verbal--no book) story, then, in turn, each child adds to the story around the circle. I use exaggerated movements and voice and I am always thrilled when the children model this when it is their turn to tell their part of the story. It is magical!

    ReplyDelete