Sunday, December 9, 2012

THE SEXUALIZATION OF EARLY CHILDHOOD


The sexualization of children is a major problem in our society today.  Television, magazines, stores, and video games (just to name a few)  all entice children by stereotyping what is appropriate for girls or boys and what you need to have in order to be successful (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010).  The information that children are receiving from society as a whole doesn’t really focus on what is needed to nurture a successful, productive, healthy lifestyle, but instead what the media and the social culture deems is necessary to be popular or “cool”.  To me as an educator, this type of mis-communication is very damaging to the self-esteem or self-motivation of young children.  I have witnessed young boys being told that if they cry or whine they are acting like “sissies”.  Does this child grow up feeling that only girls should cry if they are hurt physically or emotionally?  How does this type of statement affect what the child thinks of his identity?  I have also watched young girls in my family dress in their female relatives’ high heels and say that they are now pretty.  Does this mean that they were not pretty before?  It is very important that we send our children the right messages.  They do not need objects to make them pretty or popular.  We have to nurture their spirits and let them know that beauty and strength comes from within.  We must help them develop a wide range of behaviors that go beyond the stereotypes that they may face each day (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010).  Communicating with parents, as well as helping children understand what they may see or hear in their environment is important also.  Connecting with parents to find out where they stand on toys that are chosen for their children, or what they child is allowed to watch on television will enable the child care provider to enforce the same in the classroom if it is appropriate.  It is also a way to give parents positive ideas of how to face the sexualization that may occur in society if they have any questions.

Reference:

Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, D.C.: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).

1 comment:

  1. Teresa,

    I loved that you mentioned that young girls put on high heels and they think they are "pretty". I can remember putting on my mom's high heels as a young girl and thinking that I was so cool being an adult.

    One morning I woke up a little late and did not have time to put on my normal make-up. One of my female students told me to never do that again because I did not look good. Even though I wear make-up, this girl thought in order to be pretty one has to wear make-up. I enjoyed reading your post, great job!

    ReplyDelete