Saturday, December 1, 2012

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice


Describe in detail the consequences you might expect for the children and families with whom you work while you experience specific “-ism(s)” in your own life.  Include specific examples either those you have and/or are experiencing or ones you would anticipate.

An ism is the attitude and actions that surround institutional advantages and disadvantages people experience due to their membership in certain social identity groups (Derman-Sparks & Edwards, 2010).  The ism that I have experienced most of my life is racism.  My earliest recollection is from primary school while riding a bus that carried predominantly Caucasian children to school.  I was ridiculed for being African American on a weekly basis.  As I grew older, I began to feel that our world was ruled by what was known as “White America”.  I felt this is why my father insisted that all of his children do well in school and go to college to get a good education.  We were told that knowledge was something that could never be taken away from you and could take you places.  So we did as we were told…my siblings and I all went to college, graduated, and got pretty good jobs.  However, I can tell you that there are some who live in our society that believe education, respectfulness, and human courtesy does not count for anything.  If you ever thought that racism was dead, I am here to tell you that it is alive and kicking!

 I was hired two weeks ago as a first grade teacher at a primary school.  The school serves a predominately African American population with a poverty ratio of about 80%.  Because of the number of children in the first grade classes, the Principal was allocated money for an additional teacher.  A parent of one of the children who will be transferred to my class wanted to know if I was Black.  She was told that I was an experienced teacher with 16 years teaching young children and taught previously in a District that was known for receiving excellent marks on the state report card.  She was also told that I came highly recommended for the position from my previous supervisor.  However, the parent was only concerned about her Caucasian child being taught by an African American teacher.  She also went as far to say that the only reason her child was attending this school was because most of the teachers were Caucasian.  When the Principal first told me of the situation I felt as if I had been slapped in the face.  Here we are in 2012 and it doesn’t matter how well you do your job, how you nurture and inspire children to learn, but what matters to some is what race you are.  After I got past the initial shock of what I was hearing, I knew that God put me in this position for a reason.  Will she and her son be treated any differently?  The answer is no.  I have always bent over backwards to communicate with all of my parents and worked 150% for all the children I serve.  Her child will get the same love and nurturing that all of my students receive.  As I do with all my parents, I will ask her to attend conferences and school functions and see me with any concerns that she may have about her child.  I have already sent a welcome home letter to all the parents letting them know how important it is for us to work together.   Racism continues to divide people and produce social and emotional turmoil.  As an anti-bias educator my goal is to embrace diversity within my classroom by making my students and families aware that we are all different, but we are all equally important to society, our classroom, and each other.

 

Reference: 

Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and

ourselves. Washington, DC: NAEYC.

 

3 comments:

  1. First of all, congratulations on the new position! The sad reality is that racism still is, as you put it, "alive and kicking." I think it is so sad that even though people work hard, respect others, and make a great life they are still judged based on skin color. Your school and mine have similar demographics, and I have also experienced a similar situation. The majority of the children and teachers in my school are African American, and upon greeting a new student and parent, the mother stop and said something along the lines that her child could not be in a white teacher's class. He needed to be in a room with a tough teacher. I could not believe how loaded that statement was. How can a simple thing like skin color be used to define so much about a person?
    I know this is going to be a tough journey (as was mine), but the way you are addressing this situation is wonderful. You are doing what is most important, putting the development of the child and the relationship with family as top priority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teresa, I really enjoyed reading your blog. unfortunately, I can relate to your post. We live in a whole new era, generation and things are still the same. I have learned to pray for others who dislike me because of the color of my skin. I'm so thankful to God that I have the opportunity to teach all children from all nationalities and have no certain preference as to who I teach. Continue to do a good job as a teacher because at the end of the day your reward would be the difference you have made in the lives of children and families who want to receive it. Congratulation on your new position.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratualations on your new position! Even though you have experienced negative thoughts from this certain parent already, I applaud you on not letting that get you down. You are taking the best approach by treating the child the same as if nothing happened. I wish all teachers could read your post and take this same approach.

    ReplyDelete