Saturday, June 16, 2012

Welcoming Families From Around the World

I have recently learned that a family from the country of Oman will be moving into the neighborhood across from our early childhood learning center. They have five children who will be enrolled in several schools in our district. Their youngest daughter Nadia is four and she will attend our child care center. In preparation for their arrival I have shown the students some pictures of the land of Oman. We have also talked about the clothing they wear, games they like to play, and some of the foods that they like to eat. Outside of the classroom I have studied traditions and customs of the land of Oman. I have listened to tapes of the Arabic language and studied the religion of Islam since the Omani culture has its roots firmly in the Islamic Religion. I have also sent the family a welcome letter with a picture of our staff and students. I have learned and taught the students how to say hello and welcome to our school in Arabic. The students and I are very excited about Nadia and her family’s arrival. We hope that they will be excited to learn about the United States just as much as we are to learn about Oman. We have tried to learn some facts about their country and the things that their family likes to do. We hope that this will help to make them feel welcomed and comfortable at our school. References: http://www.omanet.om/english/culture/overview.asp?cat=cult

1 comment:

  1. Teresa,

    I think your preparations will make your new student and family feel very welcome. I like how you went as far as to prepare the other students by showing them where the new student is come from and teaching them an arabric greeting. Nice touches!

    ReplyDelete