Saturday, May 12, 2012

MY FAMILY CULTURE

If my family and I were told that we had to leave our country and move to a different country that had a totally different culture, this would most certainly be very hard. If we could only take three items that would be even more difficult since there are so many things in our home that represent our culture. However, I'm sure that we would agree that the following things would defintely have to go along with us...our Bible, a small family album, and a USA pendant. The Bible represents our strong faith in Jesus Christ and the Christainity that we practice each day. It is a daily guide that tells us how we should live our lives in order to be healthy and prosperous. The family album is a remainder of the family that has taught us values and what we strive to instill in our own children and grandchildren. It is a collection of memories from two families united as one. The USA pendant that was given to me by one of my students many years ago. It represents the country that we had a chance to live in that provides us with rights and privileges that others may not have because of the country that they live in. It also represents the love that a child feels for someone who has inspired them in life. If we were sent to a different country where the culture was different and once we got there we were told that we could only keep one of the three above items we would be heartbroken to say the least. The one item that we would keep would be our Bible. We have always been taught through our faith that you must be steadfast and hold on to your believe in Christ even when the way seems dark and all others around you fail. The Bible would enable us to continue reading and studying God's word which is the one thing that shall truly never fail. Our family memories we would have to hold in our hearts along with our love for the USA. This assignment really made me think about what is truly important in my life. There were so many things I would want to take with me that remind me of all that I have experienced and been taught. It also made me thing about people who have had to come to America against their will or because their homes have been destroyed.

1 comment:

  1. Teresa,

    I think it is awesome that we all chose to bring our bibles! What an amazing "coincidence" :) I truly enjoyed your post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete